If God is love then... // looking at song lyrics differently

Within the last year or so, I had what was for me, a revelation. Lots of Christian songs have the word "love" in them. What made me come to this realization was the song "Love Does" by Brandon Heath. I was having trouble with the song, because it always reminded me of "Love Wins", a book by Rob Bell with lots of stuff I don't agree with. But, as I listened, I started to realize that "love" meant "God".  Here are some of the lyrics:

 Nobody knows why your heart is broken
Nobody cries while your prayers are going up
But Love does
Nobody walks on the road you’re paving
Nobody sees all the souls you’re saving
Oh, but Love does
Love does
Love does

That's a pretty good song in and of itself. But replace "love" with "God" and it gets better.

Nobody knows why your heart is broken
Nobody cries while your prayers are going up
But God does
Nobody walks on the road you’re paving
Nobody sees all the souls you’re saving
Oh, but God does
  God does
God does 

I now do this word substitution with a lot of Christian songs. When you listen to them, they are great with just the word "love". But songs have so much more meaning to me now, knowing that it isn't just the feeling or action of love that's being describe (although sometimes it is), but that them mean God, the One who literally IS love.
One more example because it speaks to me so much. This is from "Love is Not A Fight" by Warren Barfield. Sometimes he does mean love, but take a look at these lyrics:
Love will come to save us
If we'll only call
He will ask nothing from us
But demand we give our all

Try it out sometime. Next time you hear a Christian song that has a theme of love, put God in the place of love and it magnifies the meaning. If you do this a lot, it becomes second nature and opens up a whole new experience of music.  

 

Comments

Popular Posts