Change is good, right???

There is this joke that goes "How many Lutherans does it take to change a light bulb?" The answer is "What's change?" The stereotype is that Lutherans don't do change well. But I don't think we have the corner on that. 

I used to be staunchly against anything changing in my life. When I got my hair cut (12 inches to donate), that night I was in tears because my hair was too short to put up in a ponytail (not actually true). But really, I was just not dealing with the new haircut well.That is how badly I dealt with change. I have gotten better, but I still REALLY don't like change. I look back on my life and all the different changes, all the different people who have come and gone in my life, and it is hard. Now I'm a junior, so high school is almost over, my cousin is graduating and going to college in Texas, my best friend is graduating (but thankfully sticking around), and I have other friends who are graduating too. It's a really big change and it's hard for me to like it. I am the kind of person who wishes we could just all stay the same, stay friends, stay around. 

But change is supposed to be good. Like when I got a math curriculum I could understand (until Algebra ;). That was good change. Even change we don't like is helping shape and mold us into who we are. Allie wrote a really good post about being thankful for change. I'm not there yet, but I am at the point where I just accept it and move on. Something to aim for I guess - being thankful for change. 

Comments

Popular Posts