My Non-Fiction Picks of 2016

I was looking at past post on the blog and came across one on my favorite non-fiction books of 2015. Even though it's late, I thought it would be fun to do the same thing for 2016. So here are my favorite NF books of 2016!

The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer
My friend recommended this book to me and I am so glad she did! Like Dietrich Bonhoeffer, A. W. Tozer writes profound simple truths. Truths that are not hard to read or understand, but yet you only scratch the surface of their meaning the first time around. I will definitely be reading this book again. Maybe a once a year read? 
Chasing Perfection by Bob Ladouceur  
From the first time I watched "When The Game Stands Tall", I have been a huge fan of Bob Ladouceur and his coaching style. His mission to shape the boys on his team into men who can be counted on is inspiring. I did not read the entire book, as some chapters pertain only to football, but much of his principles are applicable to any sport and even to other kinds of groups as well. If you like football, coach any sport, or are involved in leading groups of young boys, you'll find something to take away from this book.

The Finest Hours by Micheal J. Tougias
An absolutely incredible account of what is considered the Coast Guard's most daring rescue. It's almost unbelievable what they were able to do. Very well written, interesting, mostly easy to understand. There were a couple times where it was too nautical or something, but I just got what I got and continued on. Only a few swear words. I would highly recommend this book to any high schooler and above. I am looking forward to reading Bernie Webber's own books now. The only problem is that the library doesn't own them! I'll have to request that they acquire them.

It's Not What You Think by Jefferson Bethke
I will be reading this book again this year. Bethke takes common Christian themes and puts them in a whole new light. I am trying to do Sabbath differently now from what I learned in his chapter on the Sabbath. I would highly recommend this book.
 
Cold Case Christianity by J. Warner Wallace
I like apologetics but I haven't read a whole lot of books on the subject. This was interesting in how each "accusation" was broken down. Wallace lists the possible explanations and then goes through them one by one, until what you have left are the most likely possibilities. Those are always supporting the Scriptural account.


Frozen In Time by Mitchell Zuckoff
This book - like The Finest Hours - is almost unbelievable. I can hardly believe it's true. The book goes back and forth from modern day, to World War II. I believe three planes went down on Greenland - one original and two attempting rescues. It's inspiring to read about the selflessness of those who tried to rescue the men and amazing to read about how the rescues were pulled off. Seven men survived almost five months on a glacier in Greenland during the winter. Absolutely incredible. The modern part is a group of people who are trying to find one of the planes. So far, they have been unsuccessful, but they have plans to keep trying. There was supposed to be an expedition last summer, but I'm not sure if it happened. Here is a site for the group talked about in the book: http://www.globalexplorationandrecovery.com/

A Higher Call by Adam Makos
This book - along with Eric Metaxas' Bonhoeffer - have really personalized WWII and the German people. It's really easy for us as Americans to vilify Germans. We make them all out to be Nazis and these horrible people with no consciences, when that is not true.

It was eye-opening to me to read just how humane the German Air Force was. There were times where I was almost "on the German side", but that just goes to show that both sides did awful things and both sides did good things. The men in the GAF were doing their job and trying to protect their families and countrymen and the Allied bombers and fighters were doing their jobs too. When you read more into events like this, the lines become much more blurred. What can this teach us about modern conflict?

The reunion was touching. To really understand what Franz did is evidenced by the Pub's crew and the lives they were able to live. An absolutely amazing, fascinating story. It will change how you think about the Germans from WWII.

The language drove me nuts. I hated reading it. But if you can withstand that, a great story that will make you think and probably change you a little bit. 
The End of Me by Kyle Idleman
My friend reads some really great books on Christianity! I am always disappointed when I cannot get a book she recommends. One of my favorite aspects of this book was the unique, fresh look at the Beatitudes (some of them). The Beatitudes have always been a bit of an enigma to me, but Idleman explains several of them in an easy to understand way that makes them seem applicable to everyday life.

Blessings of Unity by Richard T. Case
I received this book from Flyby Promotions and wrote a review here:
http://smylinggirl.blogspot.com/2016/10/blessings-of-unity-book-review-giveaway.html

Comments

Popular Posts