He Lives In You ~ Christian Parallels in The Lion King movies

My brother's best friend had never seen The Lion King, so over spring break, we had him over and watched it. Since this is fresh in my mind, I'm finally getting around to blogging about my observations. I've been thinking for a while now how there seem to be so many Christian parallels in The Lion King movies (I'm including 2 in this too). In TLK, Mufasa tells Simba, "You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me". It really struck me that we do that all the time. We forget who we are because we forget WHOSE we are - we forget God. Another prime example is the song He Lives In You from TLK 2. Listen to this song and read the lyrics.

 Seriously, doesn't that sound Christian to you? Read the chorus again.

 He lives in you
He lives in me
He watches over
Everything we see
Into the water
Into the truth
In your reflection
He lives in you
I don't know about you, but I find this unbelievably cool. What Christian parallels do you find in secular media? I'd love to hear more examples. 

In my youth group, we have been talking about What Shapes You As A Christian? We watched The Jungle Book to see how Mowgli was influenced by so many different "people", but I find such a strong example of this in TLK too. Simba is influenced by his dad, his uncle, Nala, Timon and Pumba, Rafiki. They all tell him different things and he listens to all of them to some degree. All of them shape him into who he is as an adult. So then, we talked about what things shape us and how we are shaping others.It's a very interesting discussion and really makes you examine yourself and your media habits. 



Comments

  1. Of all the movies I've seen as a child, The Lion King appeals the most to me.
    Even now, I can rattle off the dialogues from each and every scene.
    As for this song, it's a lovely song. And I don't know why it doesn't get its due credit! :/
    I haven't really thought about what Christian elements that we have in our social media.
    Lovely blog, by the way! :)
    I'm glad I came across this blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Archie! Glad you like it. About the song not getting credit, it's not in the first movie, it's in Lion King 2 Simba's Pride.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts