Has This Phenomenon Happened To You?


Graduating high school is hard because life drastically changes. Friends you used to see on a regular basis go away to college. Even if they stay around, they are busy in school and work and just don't have as much time. You used to see them regularly because you did life together. Now, you're all doing different things.

It's been rough. But I've noticed something really interesting happening. I am in communication with my friends who are away MORE now that they are gone. Two friends in particular. 

My one friend and I, we were really close when we were young. During our teen years, I'd see her twice a year for sure, with a random meeting sometimes. It was sad and hard, but I couldn't really do anything about it other than what I was doing. 

Then she moved five hundred miles away.

She was on her own, far from home, and she wasn't even a legal adult yet! I started writing her every week, just stuff that I was doing. We started texting on a regular basis. Once in a while, we do a FaceTime call. Our friendship is growing and becoming stronger, BECAUSE SHE MOVED AWAY!! Honestly, if she was still living around here, we probably wouldn't be as close as we are.

My other friend I used to see once a week when we were in co-op together. That was our time to talk and hang out. We basically didn't talk any other time during the week. Now that he's at school, if I want to talk to him at all, I have to text him. This means we talk more often now, even though I have only seen him once since school started. (Not that our conversations are very deep. Pretty much about sports and snow :)

Don't get me wrong, I wish my friends were all still around and that I could see them more often. But I'm seeing that there are good things that come out of friends moving away. It forces communication, because it's all you have left. And it also makes you appreciate your time together much more. I am super excited whenever I have a chance to see my friends when they're back home. I make it a priority in the summer to see friends who are back home from school. 

This stage of life reveals who your true friends are. Some friendships fade and that's sad. But others grow stronger as you all work to stay in contact and keep your friendships alive. Shared history and experiences definitely help with that. 

To all my friends, I'm so thankful for you!!!

Comments

Popular Posts