The Best Homemade Vanilla Cupcakes // It's A Fine, Fine Life # 16



I'm making up my own rules for what goes now with IAFFL and posting a recipe, because they make my life fine :) 
 
For those who know me, you might be surprised by the title. The only reason that it's not titled "Best Vanilla Cupcakes" is because Trader Joe's vanilla cupcake mix is amazing. 

I found this recipe online when I was making cupcakes for having friends over. I don't know for sure if they would be this good if I made them exactly the same, because I differ a little bit. They are dense cupcakes, but I think that is one of the things I like about them. I like fluffy cupcakes too, but these are just super good. 


INGREDIENTS/EQUIPMENT
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2/3 cup sugar (I use brown sugar because I think it's the best)
  • 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted (if you don't have unsalted butter, you can use salted, but then put in just the tiniest bit of salt or no salt at all)
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use whatever vanilla extract I have)
  • 1/2 cup milk*
  • chocolate chips (optional)
  • your favorite frosting
  • muffin tin(s) and cupcake liners
 *I made this the first time for friends and one of them can't have dairy (well, milk) so I used rice milk. You can also use coconut or almond and it's the same amount.

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and position a rack in the middle of the oven. Line the muffin tin(s) with the cupcake liners. (To be honest, I do this last)

Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together.

In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 2 minutes. (with brown sugar, it's not going to get that foamy) While beating, gradually pour in the melted butter and then the vanilla. 

While mixing slowly, add half of the flour mixture. Then add all the milk, followed by the remaining flour mixture; take care not to overmix the batter. If adding chocolate chips, put them in now and mix in with a spatula. Divide equally into the muffin tin(s). 

Bake until a cake tester (read: toothpick) inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, rotating the tin about halfway through baking time. 18-20 minutes for regular cupcakes and 10-12 if you're doing mini cupcakes. Let cool, frost, and enjoy!

Another cool thing about these cupcakes is, the chocolate chips don't melt, so you get a yummy bite of chocolate! I'm a chocolate girl, but I love these cupcakes. Enjoy! 

 

Comments

Popular Posts