Christmas Week // It's A Fine, Fine Life #17

What a week! 

My family and friends love surprising me. One of my best friends lives in Nashville. She has twice now surprised me with a visit. Last year, she was home over Christmas break and we got together. Her parents now live in China for her dad's job, so she was going there for break and I knew that and it just was. However, I kept thinking, "it would be nice if she had a layover or something here and I could see her". But I'd dismiss that thought and move on. 

About two weeks before Christmas, we were getting ready to mail her makeup for herself and to take to her mom when her mom texts to say don't mail it and she'll explain later. I don't think too much of it. Then my mom is acting all weird about mailing my gift to my friend. Now I'm really suspicious, but not wanting to think about it too much because I don't want to get my hopes up.

Wednesday, we have a "family activity" scheduled on the calendar. We get in the car and start driving. Oh, and all three of us kids had to bring recording devices. Driving along, I realized we are by my mom's old house which is by the airport. And we get closer to the airport. In my head, I'm trying to come up with who we could be picking up and the little voice keeps saying, "it's Claire, it's Claire, it's Claire", and I'm trying not to latch on and get my hopes up, but as crazy as the thought is, it's the only one that makes any sense. 

It was her! 

Her old dance teacher wanted to see her and paid to change her tickets so she had five days here. My brothers knew the whole time, even our friends we had seen that morning knew! It was so great. 

Wednesday's recap: see friend who is home from college, pick up Claire, buy new iPod, and bonus, The Greatest Showman's review on PluggedIn was four out of five!!!

Thursday was the second half of the surprise. Claire and I drove to Grand Rapids to visit her Nana and Papa. Yep, just the two of us. It was so nice to talk in the car and then we spent the day with her family. When we got there, we were going out to lunch, but we were waiting, supposedly until it was closer to our reservation time. But Nana whispered to me that we were waiting for Claire's cousin. So I got to know a surprise for someone else! 

It was a great day. If you're ever in Grand Rapids, go check out Changing Thymes in Grandville. It's the coolest place. Like an antique store but with really great prices. 

Sunrise Christmas morning :)


Sunday was Christmas Eve, which is our family Christmas. Lots of fun and everyone really enjoyed their gifts. It's funny when someone forgets they asked for something or gets something they had no idea about. My dad's gifts are especially funny, because he says "thank you so much" and we all say "what is it?" :) 

Extra bonuses: IT SNOWED!!!! We had a white Christmas after all! My case and screen protector (and books) came, really quickly, so I can use my new iPod. 

Christmas Day we went to church and then spent the day with my grandparents, cousins, and aunt and uncle. We got a lot of snow, more than they were predicting, and we had a BLAST driving around with the four wheeler. Up and down their street (it's a quiet dead end street) and around the backyard. I laughed so much and so hard. Whenever she got pulled through the ditch or particularly deep snow and didn't flip, or when we'd go around a curve and she'd swing out and not flip, Kenzie would say "I made it!" She was so cute and did a great job staying on. Even when she did fly out, she'd pick herself back up, laughing, and get right back 
in.



I had a great week. Can you tell?

Comments

Popular Posts