What Is Worship?

Worship.

There are so many different definitions of worship. Our youth group has had this discussion multiple times, trying to define it. 

Some say that only certain things can be included in worship. Every church does it a little differently, but that's still talking about corporate worship. Is that really the only time we can worship? Is it the only time we do?

I'd like to propose that we worship when we are praising God as we drive down the road. That worship is in your quite time reading devotions, your Bible, & prayer. The times you do something for a family member or serve a neighbor.I think that serving often gets forgotten about when we talk about worship. Worship is to God and when we are living as He wants us to, is that not worship?

"Whatever you do, in word or deed, do it all in the name
of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17

"Whatever you do, do it with all your heart, 
as working for the Lord, not for men."
Colossians 3:23

I don't think worship is just for Sunday mornings. If all we do is supposed to be for God and worship is to God, then our every single act should be one of worship! I should be worshiping while I do chores, or school; while I take photos or write. Helping my grandma or serving the homeless, watching children so their mothers can have a meeting - if I'm doing it with my whole heart for the Lord, then is it not worship? 

I'm not at all good at this. I do chores with a grumpy spirit, I don't feel like serving, I do things half-heartedly. But the goal should be to do everything with my whole heart for the Lord. When I do, it is an act of worship, not matter what I'm doing. 

Phylicia Masonheimer just wrote a post about worship in the home! I thought it was so neat that she wrote about this when I was too. Read it here.

I also think there is a time, place, and purpose for more "organized" worship, like Sunday mornings. But I don't think worship is only relegated to a handful of practices or on certain days. It should be something we do with every act, with every breath. 

Work in progress :)

Comments

Popular Posts