I Don't Think We Appreciate What We're Witnessing

We are blessed and extremely spoiled here in Detroit. We get to see Miguel Cabrera play every single day. We expect him to do the great things he does. Sure, we get excited, but I don't think we fully appreciate who and what we have in front of us. I'm not sure we can fully appreciate it.

This all hit me last night, when Miguel hit his 306th home run as a Tiger. That ties him for 3rd place on our all-time list. He's tied with Hank Greenburg and the only players ahead of him? Norm Cash and Al "Mr. Tiger" Kaline. Yeah, that's some pretty good company.

It seems like he makes history every night, especially lately. Every RBI and home run seem to put him one more place higher on some list. I've got them all written down in my Tigers scrapbook, but I won't bore you with them here :) But he is making history all the time. Every game. 

Do we remember how amazing this is? Are we desensitized because it's right in our backyard? Can we even really appreciate just how incredible this man is? I'm not sure we can. But we can stop and remember that this is once-in-a-lifetime stuff. Maybe even more. He may be the greatest hitter of all time by the end of his career. There is no telling because there is no limit it seems to what he can do. 

Stop and watch. Soak it in. We will never see anything like this again. Let's try and appreciate the time and town in which we live and the privilege of seeing Miguel Cabrera play baseball every day, all summer long. It's a privilege we should not take for granted. 

Comments

Popular Posts