Thoughts on Christmas

In my youth group, Phil - one of my youth leaders -  is walking us through how amazing it is that Jesus became human. When you think about it, by becoming human, He was choosing to experience everything that we experience. EVERYTHING! All of our grief, sorrow, joy, illness, everything. Then, of course he died. Think about that for a minute. He came to earth at Christmas, knowing full well what was going to  occur some 33 years later. But have you ever thought about who He died for? Today I was thinking about the verse in Romans that says "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us". I know that verse, you know that verse. But have you ever really sat down and thought about it? Could you, would you, die for your worst enemy? That is essentially what Jesus did. I mean, I was Jesus' worst enemy and He still loved me. Now, here is what really got me - Jesus died for those people who hated Him and killed Him. Could you, could I, die for someone who hated me? who was trying to kill me? That is exactly what Muslim terrorists are doing. Muslim terrorists (notice I am saying terrorists) hate us as Americans and Christians. They are trying to kill us and our faith. Could I die for a Muslim terrorist? I don't think I could. It is a struggle not to hate them. Not only did Jesus not hate those who killed Him, but He died for them too. It just blows my mind. I have never really thought about Christmas (and Easter) in this light before.

Comments

Popular Posts