The Love Note by Joanna Davidson Politano // Revell Reads Review

Focused on a career in medicine and not on romance, Willa Duvall is thrown slightly off course during the summer of 1859 when she discovers a never-opened love letter in a crack of her old writing desk. Compelled to find the passionate soul who penned it and the person who never received it, she takes a job as a nurse at the seaside estate of Crestwicke Manor.

Everyone at Crestwicke has feelings--mostly negative ones--about the man who wrote the letter, but he seems to have disappeared. With plenty of enticing clues but few answers, Willa's search becomes even more complicated when she misplaces the letter and it passes from person to person in the house, each finding a thrilling or disheartening message in its words.

Laced with mysteries large and small, this romantic Victorian-era tale of love lost, love deferred, and love found is sure to delight.



My Review

I had a little back and forth debate with myself over reviewing this book. Mostly because I have been trying to stay away from overly romantic books right now. But it is by Joanna Davidson Politano and I knew it would be amazing. She did not disappoint.

I struggle to find adequate words to describe Politano's books. This is the third one I've read and each is like a parable in novel form. Her characters learn deep lessons and you as the reader learn them too. Her little observations and notes at the beginning of each chapter are quite possibly my favorite thing about her books. She also has a unique way of writing in that the chapters from the main character's point of view are done in first person but the other POVs are done in third person. Each book I've read of hers has taught me something and this one is no different.

Another reason I wanted to read this book was because it reminded me of a movie my grandmother and I both love called "The Love Letter". The stories aren't similar beyond both involve an old love letter in a desk but that's what I thought of when I read the description.

About the actual book :) While mystery would not be the first word I would use to describe Politano's books, there is a mystery going on. Willa has found an old love note that is somehow connected to the home of her childhood friends and she is determined that the rightful owner needs to have the letter in their possession. She also wants to be a doctor and one of the family needs a nurse, so with that as her "cover", she goes to try and fix things at Crestwicke Manor. She soon realizes that she's stumbled onto more than she bargained for.

I would say that one of the big underlying themes is that everyone needs to hear words of affection at times in their lives. They need to be told they are loved and that someone is proud of them. The characters soak in tender words that they each believe are for them. The note brings changes and wakes people up to what they were doing (or not doing) and how much it was hurting those around them.

I LOVED AUNT MAISIE!!!!! She is far and away my favorite character. While I felt I could connect with Willa, I liked Gabe and Clara, and I found myself feeling more for Golda as the book went on, Aunt Maisie was a gem from the start.

There really were a lot of characters that were being developed through the story but I felt like each got their turns and a satisfactory resolution. This is not your normal book that has love as the theme because there were so many different versions or stages of love represented. Friendship, fractured marriages that needed healing, single women loving and caring for orphaned children, etc. In each relationship, you learn different things with the characters.

While I called one storyline from the moment the character was introduced, the letter mystery was indeed a mystery and I did not guess its trajectory for one moment. It was surprising, to say the least.

This book was even more wonderful than I would have guessed. I am eagerly awaiting her next book already. Many thanks to Revell for a copy of the book. All opinions are my own and a favorable review was not required.

Comments

Popular Posts