Burden Of Proof by Davis Bunn // Revell Reads Review


Three weeks after his twenty-third birthday, Ethan missed the chance to save his brother's life when he was murdered on the steps of the courthouse in Jacksonville, Florida. Ever since that fateful day, Ethan has sensed a deep disconnect between the man he should have been and the one he has become. His days play out a beat too slow, his mind replaying the scene of his failure again and again.


But when his brother's widow appears, asking for his help in uncovering what was really behind his brother's death, Ethan is stunned to hear that she and her late husband were involved in a much larger case than he knew--one that threatens the global power structure. As Ethan joins the search for answers, he will enter into his own past--and discover a means of redeeming his future.

Bestselling and award-winning author Davis Bunn invites you into a world of intrigue as a man held captive by his failure learns how to move forward with hope.

 

 My Review

There are two, maybe three aspects to this book: the sci-fi-esque time travel and the medical part that is Sonya's work and the legal mystery that is Adrian's. Setting aside the first for a moment, I really enjoyed the mystery and intrigue of what Ethan, Adrian, and Sonya were trying to do. I liked the healing and forgiveness that took place among the various relationships. I loved the bond between the brothers.

I don't do well with science fiction, time travel, and heavy science/medical stuff. It's confusing to me and I can't wrap my brain around the theories of it all. Avengers Endgame was a challenge. I didn't love that aspect of this book. It made the main story feel a bit strange, though I understand that the story would not exist without it. The ending felt unfinished. Again, I understand Ethan's role being over but what happens with Sonya and Adrian and Gina? The work? The company? It felt abrupt.

I admire Bunn for being able to write such a variety of work - from legal mysteries that deal with science theories to military novels to historical fiction. He is an excellent writer no matter the subject. This book was just not one of my favorites by him.

Many thanks to Revell and Netgalley for a copy of this book. All opinions are my own and a favorable review was not required. 

Comments

Popular Posts