Looking for Gifts & Giving Thanks

It's astonishing to me what little things bring me so much joy. Simple things that you can miss if you aren't looking. 

The sunbeams around the clouds.
Gorgeous colors of a sunset.
Sunlight filling a room. (Yes, I really like sunshine.)
A breeze. 
A rainbow. 
Lightning.

Running into someone out of the blue.

I am becoming more and more convinced that God contributes at least a little to those random meetings with people you know. We say, "What a coincidence!" or "Imagine seeing you here!", but can it really be just coincidence, especially when we belong to a God who loves to bless His children? It doesn't seem crazy at all to think that He blesses us with something like running into a friend in the strangest of places. 

It surprises me how happy these meetings make me. Part of it is the surprise factor I think. It's such a wonderful surprise to run into someone. (Okay, assuming it's a friend and not your enemy or someone you don't like/doesn't like you. But we're working with friends here.) When it happens, I just say, "Thank You, God!" because my day just got a lot better. Even if it was going great to begin with, it gets better. I can't help it. I feel blessed and I become thankful.

The devotion I'm doing right now is all about looking for the gifts and blessings in the everyday & the little things. Giving thanks for things we would normally overlook. Developing a new perspective on life. Living in a constant state of thanksgiving. It's part of why I view things like I listed above as gifts. Blessings. Because I'm trying to learn how to see God's hand in everything and live a life of thanksgiving. It's astonishing how many times the Bible says "give thanks" or something like it. It must be really important.

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts