Getting into non-fiction

I've always read fiction. Almost any kind of fiction, I will read it. But as I've gotten older, I have wanted to start reading more non-fiction. When it is a subject I'm interested in, I really like NF! Here are my favorite NF books that I've read this year.

 The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss. This book is Helen's story of adopting children that no one else wanted. It is so funny! She writes down what her kids said and how they thought. I kept me laughing so hard. 

Jesus > Religion by Jefferson Bethke. I really want to read his new book since I liked this one so much. A very thoughtful book that opened my eyes to how Jesus is bigger and better than our man-made religion.

Devil At My Heels by Louis Zamperini/Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. These are both books about Louis Zamperini; and autobiography and a biography. These books have language and some graphic stuff, so beware. But if you are going to read them, I highly recommend reading both. I felt like I got a more complete story. It's amazing how much more real WW II becomes when you "live" it through a real person.

As You Wish by Cary Elwes. If you are a Princess Bride fan, this book is a must read. You get an inside look at the movie and behind the scenes info that make you appreciate the genius even more. This one too will keep you laughing.

Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas. This one is a bit of a haul, but well worth it. Surprisingly simple while yet being very profound. I recently discovered there is a student edition, so if the original seems too daunting, try that one. This is one of my favorite books that I read this year.

I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris. I finally got around to reading this book. Not much new information for me, but presented in new ways I guess. It was good for me to be reaffirmed in what I think about dating and relationships.

The Boys In The Boat by Daniel James Brown. Another one of my favorite books from this year. An incredible story of friendship, determination, and hardwork. 

The Untouchables by Eliot Ness. I read this book for a class and read it in one day, I couldn't put it down! Eliot Ness was the man behind the plan that put Al Capone out of business. Some language but an incredible story. If you didn't know it was real and true, you'd think you were reading a fiction action-thriller.

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. A classic book that I had to read. I've heard her story and read about it, but never in her own words. I don't know if I could do what she did. 

Code Talker by Chester Nez. This book is AMAZING!!! This is the story of the men who created and unbreakable code told by one of them. As is the case with most war books - I am finding out - there is some language, but it is well worth putting up with to read this incredible story. One of my favorite books from this year. 

So there you go. My list of favorite non-fiction for 2015. If you love NF or, like me, are just journeying into that realm, maybe you'll find some new favorite books from this list. Happy Reading everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts