New trend in Hollywood???

In two movies that have come out in the last couple of years, I have seen an interesting trend (yes, my sample size is two movies, but please bear with me).  I am talking about Frozen and Maleficent. You may wonder what on earth those two movies have in common - unusual takes on true love. 

You probably have seen Frozen numerous times, but let me refresh your memory. Kristoff and Anna go see the trolls so they can thaw Anna's heart, but the grandfather troll tells them that "only an act of true love can thaw a frozen heart". Kristoff, the trolls, and I think most viewers, go straight to a true love's kiss. But it ends up being an unselfish act of love on Anna's part - saving her sister - that thaws her heart. Interesting isn't it how it's not the boy or romance that is the "true love"?

Maleficent I just saw for the first time recently and for those of you who haven't seen it, it is a twist on the Sleeping Beauty story (and there are going to be spoilers, so stop reading if you haven't seen it and don't want it ruined).  Maleficent has a grudge against King Stefan and curses his infant daughter Aurora. But Maleficent is around while Aurora grows up and ends up loving her very much. Maleficent tries to undo her curse, but is unable, and so when Aurora pricks her finger and falls asleep, Maleficent brings young Prince Philip to kiss the sleeping Aurora. The twist here is that Philip's kiss doesn't work! Maleficent offers a tearful apology to the sleeping girl and gently kisses her on the forehead. Only then does Aurora awaken. 

Most fairy tales have the prince being the true love and it's always this mushy, feel-good love, not the sacrificial love that is really true love. I don't know if this is really a trend or a coincidence, but I hope Hollywood makes more movies about what true love really is. I like what I've seen in Frozen and Maleficent. It's a step in the right direction.

 

Comments

Popular Posts