The End Of An Epic // My Review Of Daican's Heir by Jaye L. Knight

For three years, the Resistance has suffered under oppression—first from Emperor Daican and now from his daughter. In her quest for vengeance, Davira has ripped Arcacia apart, and more blood is spilled every day. Newly married, all Jace and Kyrin want is to be able to live their lives in peace. In order to do that, they must help restore the rightful heir to Arcacia’s throne.

 

Carrying the weight of everyone’s hopes for the future, Daniel works every day to be the leader and king they have all fought so hard to see him become. With the Resistance and their allies from all across Ilyon united behind him, he prepares for a final confrontation with Davira. But to do so will require facing the full might of Arcacia’s military and Davira’s wrath.

 

When Jace and Kyrin become the primary targets of her ravenous hatred, Daniel finds himself in a race against time to stop his sister and avoid the bloodbath she is determined to unleash. Can he find a way to protect his loved ones and bring peace to Ilyon or will Davira succeed in bringing them all to their knees and destroying everything they hold dear?

 

 

 

Purchase Links

Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN26TZMJ

Paperback: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVDV1ZBK

Autographed Paperback: https://nerdcatcreations.com/products/pre-order-daicans-heir-book-6-autographed

 

 

I don't remember for sure if it was Black Friday 2016 or 2017 that I took a chance on a series that I'd never read. I almost never buy books that I have not read once, but they sounded so good and Black Friday means you have to buy them now. I do remember emailing them to my mom and saying, "I want these for Christmas but you have to buy them now." 

Those books were the first three books in The Ilyon Chronicles and I've never been so glad to have taken a chance on a series as I am with this saga. 

I'd also be hard pressed to find more books that have me so intensely involved in the story. Jaye L. Knight has crafted something amazing with The Ilyon Chronicles. (You can check out my post about Exiles.)



I got an advanced copy of Daican's Heir because I am a member of The Resistance Street Team. You would expect me to dive right in, but I waited. Partly because I figured once I started I wouldn't be able to stop but also because, frankly, I was scared. Jaye had shown before that she was not afraid to make the hard sacrifices in her stories and kill off people and this is the end. This is the ultimate battle. I was terrified of who might die. There is also a part of me that, as much as I've been desperate for the end of this series because I don't like loose ends, these books have been a huge part of my life for years now and I was/am sad to see them end. All that to say, there were a lot of emotions going into reading this book.

But I finally started it and my heart was racing from the beginning. In fact, sometimes I had to stop because I was so stressed. I was sure that any moment now, the deaths would begin. There is so much I cannot say without spoiling things BUT... I can and will say that, while this book is really hard and really intense and I was really, really stressed, I am so satisfied with the ending. Jaye did a phenomenal job tying the whole series together in this last book. I really don't think she could have done anything better. 

Another thing I have to mention is that there is some INCREDIBLE character growth in this series. Enemies become friends who would die for each other, the most broken person ends up counseling another in their faith, stubborn hearts yield, and people who struggled to trust each other fight side by side with complete trust. It's such a cool thing to see how these characters have grown and changed through the series. 

Lastly, while there were a lot of people who lost their fathers in this series or never had good fathers to begin with, it's really cool how many excellent men are around the young people to fill in and help them learn to be leaders, fathers, and husbands. It's a redemption of sorts and I really appreciated it.

This book was incredible. (I know I keep using that word but it's all I've got.) Well with the wait. It’s stressful and painful, there are harrowing moments and great sacrifices, hard decisions and so many tears, but I should not have doubted Jaye.

This series is a modern epic. Jaye L. Knight has created a stunning work that frankly is almost unbelievable for someone so young and someone who is doing this without a major publishing house behind her. I have to believe God is doing something with this story. 

I'm excited to see what Jaye does next. In the midst of writing IC, she wrote a contemporary novel as well that was incredible, so I know whatever she does next, it's going to be good. 

I think this sums it up well:

"While the past still hurt, the present and the future were infinitely better for it, and he thanked Elom for creating such beauty from ashes."


There is a GIVEAWAY!!! How exciting!  Check out Jaye's Instagram and/or Facebook page to enter. The giveaway is open February 17-24. Unfortunately, it is not open internationally. Only within the US. Prizes are:

 

- an autographed copy of Daican's Heir

- a Jace Funko Pop that Jaye customized

- a dragon bookmark by @lydiasvintage 

- an Ilyon Chronicles mug


https://www.instagram.com/jayelknight


Author Links

Website

Instagram

Facebook


While these books are clean and everything is handled well, due to the nature of battle and some of the more mature topics that are covered, I would not recommend these books to anyone under 16. I received an advanced copy of this book from the author in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own and a favorable review was not required.

Comments

Popular Posts