Do I Have That Book? Challenge

I first heard about this challenge from my friend Liesl and it sounded like fun! Most of the categories I was able to find just in my own collection of books but I had to venture out into the family shelves to get a few of the final ones. 



1. A Book With Tattered Edges - The Bronze Bow

This is one of my all-time favorite books!!! It was given to me well-loved and I have read it many times since then, always being very careful with it. I love to lend my books to friends but this is one that I do not loan out due to its condition. The story is set in Israel during time of Christ, we follow the story of one Daniel bar Jamin as he fights against the Roman oppression of his people. Daniel has had a very hard life and you can feel all his bitterness and anger. It might be especially poignant for our times today.

 

 

2. A Book With 3+ People On The Cover - Keeper of the Lost Cities: Neverseen

If you know me at all, you probably have heard me talk about this series. I've been reading it since the
first book came out (unfortunately). The suspense is KILLING ME!!! Shannon Messenger has built an incredible world, her characters feel like friends, and she's got some truly evil villains. As much as I love this series, enter now at your own risk. I'd recommend waiting until the series is concluded to avoid horrible cliff-hangers. 


 


3. A Book Based On Another Fictional Story - The Healer's Apprentice

This is actually book one in the Hagenheim series by Melanie Dickerson. Each book is based on a fairy tale, some more obvious than others. I love fairy tale retellings and putting them into this medieval setting is quite fun. The family that Dickerson creates is so sweet. I'm not sure what my favorite one is, but I don't want to spoil the fun for you by telling you what fairy tale this book is based off of!


 

 

4. A Book With A 10-Letter Long Title - Wild Rescue


When I was between the ages of about 10-14, I'd say, these books were some of my absolute favorites. Clean, fun, mysteries. Each book its own story but part of the larger narrative of the twin's life. The Red Rock Mysteries are about Ashley and Bryce dealing with the loss of their dad, their mom's remarriage and a blended family, moving, and then they get to solve mysteries wherever they go. It's a lot of fun. The books are particularly good for middle schoolers and each chapter is short, which might help more reluctant readers.

 


5. A Book With A Title That Starts & Ends With The Same Letter - Reluctant Burglar

A friend introduced me to this author when she was telling me about a writing style called "Deep Point of View". I won't bore you with trying to explain that, BUT the blessing was discovering these books. They're AMAZING!!! Desi is such a fun character, I love her job (it's so unique), and again, each book deals with its own story within a larger narrative. If you like mysteries, you should definitely read these.

 

 

6. A Mass-Market Paperback - The Hobbit


I could not find a book that explicitly said "mass market paperback" so I looked up the definition and went from there. Then Goodreads confirmed that I got it right!! As much as I can, I'm trying to include books I've actually read. Generally that would mean books that I like, but here would be the exception (don't hate me, please!). That's right, I did not enjoy The Hobbit. I just remember it being very slow, so I didn't want to read it, so it took me almost as long to read as Lord of the Rings!!!

 

 


7. A Book By An Author Using A Pen Name - The Happy Valley Mystery

Technically, The Mysterious Code (#7) was the first Trixie Belden book written under the pseudonym Kathryn Kenny, but The Happy Valley Mystery is one of my favorites of all the Trixie Belden books and the first favorite that was written under that pseudonym. Trixie & Co. are invited to visit her Uncle Andrew and while they're at it, help him solve the mystery of his disappearing sheep!! This is the first book where all the members of the Bob Whites are official and it has some important developments for some characters. I love this series so much. It's so funny and definitely a different time.

 

 8. A Book With A Character's Name In The Title - Bonhoeffer



So I don't know if there are rules for this or not and if non-fiction is allowed. However, Bonhoeffer is one of my all-time favorite biographies and I want to share it with everyone!! It is a deep book and I couldn't read more than one chapter in a sitting because I wanted to think things through. It's also a long book. I say that to give perspective, not to scare you off. His story is inspiring and probably going to be helpful to many in the coming years. I'm going to read it again in 2021!!!

 

 


9. A Book With 2 Maps - Lord Of The Rings

Yeah, it kind of feels like cheating but none of my other fantasy books have more than one map!! While I like the LOTR story, I always liked Narnia more. Still, Tolkien's world building is incredible and so thorough. I appreciate the work put in and lessons to be learned from the story.

 

 

 

 

10. A Book That's Been Turned Into A TV Show - Little Women


Louisa May Alcott is one of my favorite authors and Little Women is probably her most well-known work. I grew up with the Winona Ryder movie, and that is my favorite, but I've seen other versions and they all do a good job with the story.

 

 

 


11. A Book By An Author Famous For Something Other Than Or In Addition To Writing- Between Heaven & The Real World

Define famous :) Steven Curtis Chapman is certainly famous in Christian circles. His story is tragic and hopeful, sad and joyful, but most of all, inspiring. I love biographies because you can learn so much from the lives of others.

 

 

 

12. A Book With A Clock On Its Cover - Draven's Defience


The Passages series is such a unique idea. Sometimes trying to tell Bible stories in another world and another way doesn't work out, but with Passages, it works VERY well. Once again, I don't want to steal the pleasure of you figuring out what Bible story is being told. While each story stands alone, the beginning and ending of each book do run together so I recommend reading them in order.

 

 

 


13. A Book Of Poetry - Where The Sidewalk Ends

When I got to this category originally I thought I'd hit my first snag. See, I don't like poetry. I don't read it and I don't own it. BUT I "remembered" that I didn't have to only pull from my personal library! I actually have read both Shel Silverstein collections that we own and they were cute enough.

 

 

 

 

14. A Book With An Award Stamp On Its Cover - Number The Stars

A childhood favorite!!! It's been too long, actually, since I read this one. I've always loved books set in WWII, both fiction and non, but that are personal stories. That's what inspires me. I love reading about people who stood up and fought for the dignity and humanity of the Jews.

 

 

15. A Book Who's Author Has The Same Initials As You - X

 Here is my first strike. I used to own a book like this but as far as I know, I've gotten rid of it.

 


16. A Short Story Collection - Decree

Set after the events in the Blades of Acktar series, Decree lets us peek back into/go into the future with the lives of our beloved characters. Most of the stories are future events, moving us along with our friends, but one or two are background stories. All allow the reader to get more of Acktar, which, if you read these, is a very good thing. My brothers read them for the first time this year and one finished book five and promptly started the series again!!!

 

 

17. A Book That is 500-510 Pages Long - Hope


My mom actually found this one for me. You'd think that with Ilyon Chronicles and Keeper Of The Lost Cities and several other series that I love, it would be a cinch to find a book like this. WRONG!!! They'd be either in the 480-90 range or way over. I was in the basement searching the shelves when my mom brought this over and showed me - 509!!!!

 

 


18. A Book That's Been Turned Into A Movie - The Inheritance

Another Louisa May Alcott novel!!! This might be my favorite Alcott story. There is just something about it. The movie is just as good as the book. I don't even mind the differences. Normally, when you love a book that much you don't like the movie but somehow I love both.

 

 

 

19. A Graphic Novel

Strike two. Thank goodness this is the end so I won't get three strikes and be out!!!

 

This was a fun challenge. I reminded me of books I haven't read in a while (and need to read!). I was able to find all books that I have read, though not all books are my own. I hope you found some titles you want to read!! Tell me what sounded interesting to you and what you've already read. If you know me, I'd be happy to loan a book to you :)

Comments

  1. Ahh, I loved this! I'm so glad you did it :D A bunch of these books I absolutely LOVED (*cough* Neverseen *cough*) and I'm glad they made the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was hard sometimes to pick just one book for a category!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts