Gracious Savior, Grant Your Blessing
A lot of hymns I cannot understand and cannot follow and have almost no clue what they are talking about. This is absolutely not one of them. This song makes a lot of sense. There are a couple places that are weird to me, but overall, this hymn is wonderfully simple to follow.
1) Gracious Savior, grant Your blessing to this husband and this wife,
That in peace they live together in your love throughout their life.
Christ defend them from the tempter and from all that would destroy
Love's foundation You have laid here, and its threshold paved with joy.
2) Lord if You are not the builder, then the house is built in vain,
For a home without Your presence shall without true love remain.
Yet when You within a marriage come and dwell with grace divine,
There You fill the empty vessels, changing water into wine.
3) Cana's guest, this union hallow; tenderly embrace this pair.
Clothe this couple with the garments they will daily need to wear:
Patience, kindness, and compassion, gentleness, humility;
Robe them, Lord, with love to bind them in a perfect unity.
4) Make their love a living picture showing how You loved Your bride:
When You gave Yourself to cleanse her, when for her You bled and died.
Jesus, You have made her holy, pure and fair her radiant train;
To Yourself, Your love presenting, without wrinkle, spot, or stain.
5) Father, You created Adam, crafted Eve, and made them one;
Jesus, from their sin You saved us, as God's true incarnate Son;
Holy Spirit, You forgive us; From our sins we are released.
Bring us, Lord, at last to heaven, to the endless wedding feast.