Retrieve by Sarah Addison-Fox // Book Tour + Review





// Book Info //

Retrieve (The Stormer’s Trilogy #1)
By Sarah Addison-Fox

What if the job you took to stay alive might be what kills you?

Kade knows what it is to suffer. He knows what it’s like to lose everything and everyone around him. His job in a 
Stormer Unit guarantees not just his survival in the decimated country of Azetaria, but his sister Meg’s. 
Even if it means facing the Numachi warriors baying for his blood, he’ll do what it takes to keep her safe.

Hadley is alone and surviving the only way she knows how. By hiding where predators won’t find her and scavenging 
enough just to keep her alive.

When desperation drives Hadley to search for her missing brother, she mistakenly accepts the offer of recruitment 
into the Stormer’s camp, only to be partnered with Kade and sent as a scout into Numachi territory. The intimidating 
young Stormer may just know where her brother has gone. But can they stay alive long enough to find him?





My Review

I'm going to break this down into sections, as it's the easiest for me. 

  • The Characters. I liked Kade. It's possible that I only drew this comparison because I've been spending so much time reading reviews about Bitter Winter, but he reminds me a bit of Jace from the Ilyon Chronicles series (that's a big compliment by the way). I hope Meg gets more "screen time" in the later books, because she intrigued me. I definitely was interested in the pasts of the characters. How did they end up where they are?
  • The Story. I'm going to be honest, I wanted to read this book because I heard it was "Prince of Persia meets Mulan". I get the Mulan part but I didn't so much understand Prince of Persia. It's okay though, because the storyline is super interesting in and of itself. I have to hand it to Sarah, she writes very unique and compelling plots. I read her book Disowned and thought the same thing. Since it is a trilogy, this book is kind of the lead-in and so the ending feels rather abrupt. But the author's goal is to keep you reading, so that works well in her favor :)
  • Content. This is definitely a book for older readers. Kade is a warrior. There's blood and violence. Hadley ran from a situation that could have been bad for her and she's rather afraid that all men want to take advantage of her. Then there is the language. I don't remember any language in Disowned, so if it was there, it was minimal. This is the one drawback for me and I was very disappointed in how much language there was. Not necessary at all.

In summary, this is a unique, compelling book that probably isn't for anyone under at least sixteen. I am interested to see where this story goes and if I get the chance to read the other two books, I will take it! That's the one bummer to reading indie books is, the library doesn't have the rest of them. I just don't have enough money to buy entire series of books!

If you'll excuse me, I think I want to go watch Prince of Persia now :)




// Author Info //

Twitter: @saddisonfox







Comments

Popular Posts